The purpose of being an electronic recycler is to reduce the effects of electronic waste on the environment by being committed in seeking alternate ways to recycle, refurbish and reuse electronics intended for disposal. Our operations are also intended to promote continual improvement within our health and safety, data security, and social accountability management systems, and other requirements specified in the e-Stewards Standard. This applies to the electronics equipment, property and assets under Friendly Earth International Inc.’s ownership, as well as employees, contract workers, volunteers and interns. To further demonstrate the e-Steward Standard within the scope of our operations, we provide verifiable and operational framework with specific performance requirements to:
- Protect Customer Data and privacy
- Protect occupational health and safety, and communities surrounding facilities,
- Prevent pollution, reduce environmental impacts, and facilitate efficient use of resources,
- Ensure fair labor practices, specifically excluding forced and child labor, and prison operations for managing hazardous e-waste,
- Require proper disposal of hazardous e-waste, specifically limiting it from solid waste disposal,
- Operate in conformity with international laws, treaties, and agreements throughout the Recycling Chain- in essence, preventing toxic waste exports from developed to developing counties, and
- Ensure that the above criteria are extended downstream of the e-Stewards Recycler.
To ensure that Friendly Earth International is transparent in all operation regarding the e-Steward standard, our program will:
- Implement, maintain and improve an environmental management system that includes occupational health and safety, responsible reuse and recycling, data security, and accountability for toxic materials throughout the recycling chain;
- Assure itself and others of its conformity with the environmental and health and safety policy required in the complete Standard, as well as any additional state environmental policy:
- Operate, with respect to export of Electronic Waste, as if their country has ratified the Basel Convention on the Control of Trans boundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal, and the Basel Ban Amendment; and
- Demonstrate such conformity with the complete Standard by seeking certification/ registration of its environmental, health and safety management system by an external certifying body accredited to certify the complete e- Steward Standard.
Friendly Earth International Inc. is committed to protecting the environment and the safety or our workers.
To minimize environmental impacts concerning our activities, products and services, we shall:
- Conduct business appropriate to the nature, scale and environmental and health and safety impacts of its activities, products and services,
- Commit to continual improvement and prevention of pollution and worker safety,
- Commit in complying with applicable legal requirements and with other requirements to which the organization subscribes which relate to its environmental aspects
- Provide the framework for setting and reviewing environmental and health and safety objectives and targets
- Prevention of exports of Hazardous Electronic Waste (HEWs) throughout the Recycling Chain which violate international laws, treaties, and agreements,
- Prevent pollution, reduce waste and minimize the consumption of resources
- Ensure that every sale or donation of Electronic Equipment and components are destined for Direct Reuse, and not for Recycling (including repair) or Final Disposal,
- Educate, train and motivate employees to carry out tasks in an environmentally responsible manner
- Encourage environmental protection among suppliers and subcontractors
- Prohibition of forced or child forced labor throughout the recycling chain,
- Prohibition of prison operations throughout the Recycling Chain that involve incarcerated individuals handling HEWs or Customer Data, and:
- Are subsidized by government (directly or indirectly),
- Involve the likelihood of risks of release or misuse of Customer Data, or
- Do not provide workers with the same rights as private sector workers to protections from exposure to toxics, and
- Social Accountability values within its Organization consistent with the principles of e-Stewards Standard 2.0.
Friendly Earth International Inc. is committed to continual improvement of environmental and operational performance. This Policy will be communicated to all staff, contractors and suppliers, and be available for the public.
Andrew Shute, President
June 9, 2016